Presbyterian Church of Taiwan (PCT)

Whereas Roman Catholic missionaries came to Taiwan somewhat earlier, Protestant mission work that continues to this day began the year 1865 in Tainan with the arrival of Dr. James L. Maxwell sent by the Presbyterian Church of England (now the United Reformed Church [URC]). Dr. Maxwell and colleagues were soon followed by Rev. Dr. George L. Mackay from the Canadian Presbyterian Mission (the Presbyterian Church in Canada [PCC]) who began mission work in Tamsui in1872.