To: His Excellency Prak Sokhonn,
Senior Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Royal Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia
We, the undersigned international NGOs, recognise the Royal Government of Cambodia’s commitment to global agreements and frameworks, such as the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We note that the quest for sustainable development is reflected in policy documents such as the 2014 – 2018 National Strategic Development Plan and the “Rectangular Strategy” of the Royal Government of Cambodia.
We share the commitment and belief that progress in achieving SDGs and other social, economic, environmental or political goals requires strong social systems through which citizens interact with each other and with their government.
Recent events, however, lead us to believe that a number of civil society organisations that promote accountability and transparency have been considered by the government as a threat to the stability of Cambodia .
We believe these organisations make important contributions to human development, and a stable society ready for growth and prosperity. We believe that the international charters to which Cambodia is a signatory (such as the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights) recognise democratic values including the freedom of expression and the right to a fair trial. We also believe that the Constitution of Cambodia similarly provides a framework for protection and respect of rights.
While maintaining a spirit of partnership and cooperation, we appeal to the Royal Government of Cambodia to:
- Promote, protect, and respect the fundamental rights and freedoms of Cambodian people enshrined in the Universal Declaration on Human Rights and the International Covenants to which Cambodia is a party.
- Ensure Cambodian citizens are not arrested where their actions have not contravened law and where their actions are the expression of their rights.
- Ensure there is no judicial harassment against Cambodian citizens who are working to protect people’s rights.
- Ensure there is space for democratic participation, advancement of human rights and development processes.
This statement is endorsed by:
- ACT Alliance
- ActionAid International
- Aide et Action Cambodia
- Asian Legal Resource Center (AHRC -Asia)
- Union Aid Abroad -APHEDA
- Bread for the World
- Christian Aid
- Church World Service
- Dan mission
- The Finish Evangelical Lutheran Mission (FELM)
- Fin Church Aid
- Forum Asia
- Forum Syd
- Franciscans International
- Henrich Boll Foundation
- ICCO Cooperation
- International Relief and Development Cambodia
- Johanniter International Assistance
- Mekong Plus Cambodia
- Mennonite Central Committee
- Mission Alliance
- Norwegian People’s Aid
- OT Watch Mongolia
- People in Need
- Southeast Asia Development Program
- World Renew
- Zo Indigenous Forum