Egypt: Fire Emergency

14th May 2018

In the afternoon  of Thursday 10 May 2018, in the town of El-Sultan Hassan village, El Minya Governorate in Egypt, an electric circuit short caused fire in one of the village houses. This spark caused the entire house to catch flame. The barns where built of wooden beams and palm branches, and they quickly caught fire. This fire burned down four houses of which each hosted three families.  They lost most of their furniture along with the building. The fire also destroyed the livestock of 45 families. These 45 families have lost their sources of livelihoods. A total of 12 families lost their houses and most of their furniture, and other household items.

The fire has put them in a state of crisis. The fire affected persons are in a desperate situation, now faced with many unmet vital needs such as access to: sufficient food, need for safe shelter and basic of non-food items. Their nutritional health is also to be met since they lost their livelihood assets and the source of income, and also could not salvage any food out of their blazing houses.

Alerts_Fire in Egypt