The ACT Alliance promotes accountable and transparent ways of working with all stakeholders. It encourages its members and the secretariat to address staff and stakeholder concerns quickly and effectively so that issues are resolved to the satisfaction of the concerned person and do not progress to the level of a complaint. Programme level concerns should be raised and discussed with responsible employees as close to the activity as possible.
Access the ACT Alliance Complaints Policy here
How to submit a complaint
A complaint should ideally be lodged as soon as possible after the complainant becomes aware of the concern, in order to maximise the effectiveness of any potential investigation. However, the secretariat is willing to accept complaints at any time.
- A sample complaint letter format is available here, which serves as a guide and can be adapted as appropriate. When the details have been completed, it can be submitted preferably by email to Complaintsbox@actalliance.org or by letter, addressed to: “The Complaints Focal Person” ACT Alliance Secretariat 150 Route de Ferney PO Box 2100 1211 Geneva 2 Switzerland or by phone call or sms/text message (+41798575334).
Complaints addressed by the ACT policy
The ACT Alliance secretariat will accept the following complaints:
- Complaints against ACT member organisations who, in the course of providing humanitarian, development assistance and/or advocacy work, allegedly fail to apply, enforce, or otherwise implement the ACT Code of Good Practice;
- Complaints against a member of staff of an ACT member who, in the course of their work, allegedly is in breach of the ACT Code of Conduct.
- Complaints against staff of the ACT secretariat who, in the course of their work, allegedly is in breach of the ACT Code of Conduct.
Complaints not addressed by the ACT policy
Complaints such as, but not limited to, the complaints listed below are not addressed by this policy. However, the ACT secretariat or ACT governance may respond to such complaints and/or refer them to a relevant party:
- Complaints against a partner organisation of an ACT member when the partner is not an ACT member and the partner is not receiving funds through an ACT member from an ACT funding mechanism. Such complaints must be addressed directly between the partner organisation and the relevant ACT member organisation. Any such complaints received by the secretariat will be referred back to the relevant ACT member for action.
- Complaints related to employment contracts of staff of ACT members and employee terms and conditions. Such complaints are covered by employer human resource polices and staff rules and regulations.
- All ACT Secretariat staff grievances, unless related to an alleged breach of the Code of Conduct or the Code of Good Practice. Such grievances are covered by the staff rules and regulations and the related complaints response mechanism and are not covered in this policy.Complaints that are already the subject of legal proceedings.
The ACT secretariat and ACT governance will not respond to the following complaints:
- Complaints against a policy or position which has being taken by the ACT Alliance and/or, an ACT member, for advocacy purposes, unless that policy or position is in breach of an ACT policy or standard.