Consultancy April 2021- March 2022
Location: Home-based, no travel expected
Type of contract: Consultancy
Languages required: English
Consultancy start target date: 1st May 2021
Duration of Contract: 5-month period, 5-8 days per month, maximum 40-day contract
Application deadline: 14.04.2021
About ACT Alliance Climate Justice Programme
ACT Alliance is the largest coalition of Protestant and Orthodox churches and church-related organisations engaged in humanitarian, development and advocacy work in the world, consisting of more than 130 members working together in over 120 countries to create positive and sustainable change in the lives of poor and marginalised people regardless of their religion, politics, gender, sexual orientation, race or nationality in keeping with the highest international codes and standards.
Climate Justice is one of the milestones identified in the current ACT Alliance Global Strategy. To achieve this milestone, ACT created a Climate Justice Programme with a primary objective to enable the coalition to be a leading faith-based alliance speaking out and acting on climate justice.
Two ACT Alliance members are funding ACT’s Climate Justice Programme through a contribution to the ACT Alliance’s core budget, and through a project entitled “Faith actors enhancing inclusive, ambitious and sustainable climate policy and action in accordance with the Paris Agreements and the Sustainable Development Goals”.
TERMS OF REFERENCE
ACT Alliance would like to engage a consultant for developing several elements of the ACT Climate Justice Programme as described within these Terms of Reference. This includes the following main components:
- Conceptualization, organisation and documentation of one virtual regional multi-stakeholder dialogue in the Africa region together with the ACT Africa Regional Representative, which will bring together faith actors, governments, civil society, private sector actors, youth, research and academic actors. In these dialogues, the stakeholders will chart a course for re-energising the call for climate justice, ambition, and accountability, all of which will be captured in the ‘climate justice, ambition and sustainability multi-stakeholders’ idea book’ that will be developed sequentially as the output of the dialogues.
- Development and drafting of a publication containing a collection of ideas and strategies for achieving higher climate ambition (see above) in terms of policy, practice and narrative; in close coordination with ACT Alliance’s Climate Justice Reference Group (CJG).
- Conceptualization and development of a programme for regional best practice consultations for churches and faith-based actors in resilience building and adaptation programmes, to be conducted in the 4 regions covered under this project.
- Conceptualization of virtual regional multi-stakeholder dialogue in the Africa region (event concept and methodology, identification of speakers, conceptualization of follow-up process) – target date 05.2021
- Organisation of virtual regional multi-stakeholder dialogue in the Africa region (contacting and securing speakers, briefing speakers, managing invitations to participants and sign-ups, setting up of virtual space); workload may differ depending on scope of the event (number participants, etc) – target date 06.2021
- Documentation of virtual regional multi-stakeholder dialogue in the Africa region (participation in the dialogue, writing of narrative report from the proceedings incl. any annexes such as presentations, pictures, background studies, etc., writing of brief article for ACT Alliance website) – target date 06.2021
- Development of outline of a publication summarising ACT Alliance’s multi-stakeholder dialogues, and containing a collection of ideas and strategies for achieving higher climate ambition in terms of policy, practice and narrative; coordination meeting with ACT’s Climate Justice Reference Group to ensure consistency with overall political messaging – target date 07.2021
- Drafting of a publication summarising ACT Alliance’s multi-stakeholder dialogues, and containing a collection of ideas and strategies for achieving higher climate ambition (see above), as well as recommendations for future policy and advocacy work towards achieving higher climate ambition (about 20 pages, summary, examples, political opportunities and entry points) – target date 09.2021
- Conceptualization and development of a programme for regional best practice consultations for churches and faith-based actors in resilience building and adaptation programmes (curriculum, event concepts and methodology, identification of speakers, conceptualization of follow-up process) – target date 07.2021.
Qualifications and experience
The consultant shall have as minimum:
- At least 2 years experience in providing consultancy services on climate change related issues to NGO or government customers.
- Profound knowledge of climate mitigation, adaptation and loss and damage.
- Experience in engaging with governments and facilitating multi-stakeholder communications and dialogues.
- Good understanding of global civil society working environment and multilateral processes within the UN with a particular focus on UNFCCC and the UN sustainable development and disaster risk reduction agenda.
- Advanced degree in climate change and environment studies, development studies, international relations, or any other relevant discipline.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
Only registered consultants or companies shall be considered. Qualified and interested parties should send their tender application to: email@example.com by 24.00 CET 14.04.2021. Please put ““Consultancy Application: ACT Climate Justice programme 2021” in the subject line and name your documents “Firstname lastname CV” and “Firstname lastname Cover letter”.
In your tender, please include:
- Expression of Interest, including time estimation for each deliverable
- CV of the consultant
- Justification of consultancy or company registration.
- Samples of / or links to previous consultancy work completed
- List of 3 professional reference persons
- Financial offer: gross daily rate for the consultancy in USD, EURO or CHF – including administrative overheads, taxes and charges.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted