Duty station: Colombia or remote
Duration: 6 months
Worktime: 100% FTE
Target start date: January or February 2024
Reports to: Regional Representative and Programme Managers
Languages required: English and Spanish
Experience: 3-4 years
Deadline for applications: 12/12/2023
ACT is looking to fill this vacancy either through a 6-month staff contract for a Colombian resident or national from Jan-June 24 or a 6-month consultancy that can be done remotely from anywhere.
About ACT Alliance
ACT Alliance is one of the world’s largest coalition of churches and church-related organizations engaged in humanitarian, development, and advocacy work. It consists of 148 members working together in over 120 countries, with headquarters in 73 countries, whose aim is to create a positive and sustainable change in the lives of poor and marginalized people regardless of their religion, politics, gender, sexual orientation, race, or nationality in keeping with the highest international codes and standards. 64% of our members are headquartered in the Global South, 30% in the Global North, and 6% are Global members. For more details about the general work of ACT, please refer to http://www.actalliance.org/.
ACT Alliance’s structure is unique, with national, sub-regional and regional forums that bring local, national, regional, and international church-related organizations to work together under the same principles and standards, bringing different skills and expertise to support each other and leverage collective action in humanitarian, development, and advocacy engagement. Thanks to the presence of national ACT forums in over 50 countries, and of its global secretariat in strategic locations (Geneva, New York, Nairobi, Bangkok, Amman, Brussels, Toronto, and Bogota), ACT Alliance is able to bring local and regional concerns to the global arena.
About the job or consultancy
The Latin-American Human Mobility and Climate Justice Programme Officer will support the development and accompaniment of the regional initiatives of both a) Migration and Human Mobility and b) Climate Justice in Latin America and the Caribbean looking closely at the intersection between human mobility, climate change, and gender and at the implications of this nexus on human and climate mobility, and community resilience and social cohesion. The programme officer will assist in developing the programme’s implementation together with the Regional Secretariat, strengthening the programme’s capacity, and assisting LAC forums in stepping up national and regional joint efforts. The programme officer will also help strengthen advocacy efforts with a focus on the forums’ leadership and engagement related to the two programmes he/she/they will be supporting. The Programme Officer is responsible for supporting assigned projects or activities (including event planning and coordination, and capacity-building design) partner coordination, work planning, reporting, communications, budget, and contracts/administration for LAC.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the Regional Representative and Programme Manager (Migration and Displacement, and Climate Justice programmes) with regional efforts for human and climate mobility initiatives and programmes. This includes providing support with developing the programmes and coordinating the programmes and CoP in the Latin America and the Caribbean region.
- Under the leadership of the Regional Representative and the programme managers, implement effective coordination of regional efforts for human and climate mobility to enhance joint action regarding advocacy and development-related programming to respond to people to the needs and social cohesion of the people in the move and communities of origin, including coordinating the developing and/or implementation of the Community of Practice on Human and Climate Mobility regional roadmap and first activities.
- In this sense, work with members for the development of an advocacy pilot for the regional review meeting on the implementation of the Regional Consultancies for the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration.
- Coordinate the design and development of a virtual course on regional joint-advocacy among forum members and mobilize participants for the preparation and implementation of the course.
- Systematize information (provided from the Secretariat, based on previous surveys and interviews) and generate visual and informative materials allowing to position and inform on the work, opportunities, and concerns of the members in the region relating to human mobility, climate mobility, and gender mainstreaming.
- Assist in the development or review of national, subregional, or regional forum-led proposals and concept notes.
- Organize internal in-person or virtual meetings and events and represent the organization to external audiences.
- Develop close relationships with 13 national and 3 subregional forums to contribute to national forums strategic objectives in LAC regarding Human and Climate Mobility. Promote and guarantee that any initiatives and actions are forum driven.
- Ensures regular reporting to the Regional Representative and programme managers.
- Supports ACT communications work at the regional level.
- Assist with administrative and logistic tasks, including translation of documents from Spanish to English and vice versa.
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least 3 years’ experience in or Human Mobility or Climate justice-related experience will also be valued when it relates to climate mobility.
- University degree in political science, international development, or any other relevant field.
- Sound knowledge in Human Mobility and Climate Justice regional and international advocacy.
- Familiarity or interest to work in coalitions, alliances, and partnerships.
- Full professional proficiency in Spanish and English.
- Ability to work under pressure and strong ability to multi-task.
- International travel availability.
- Experience supporting new and successful climate justice and/or migration and human mobility proposals, is an asset.
- Experience working for or with faith-based organizations and churches.
- Significant experience in training and/or liaising with national NGOs.
- Working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese an asset.
Competencies and Behaviours
- Readiness and commitment to work both on programmatic and administrative tasks and remain focused and motivated.
- Interest in being part of a team and being a team player, as well as contributing to a healthy work environment.
HOW TO APPLY
ACT provides equitable compensation and pension packages and flexible working conditions. ACT also applies a non-discriminatory approach to recruitment and celebrates a diverse workforce. Interested and qualified candidates should send only their CV and a cover letter, in English and by email only, to email@example.com 12/12/2023 (24.00 CET). Please put “[name of position]” in the subject line and name your documents: “First name last name CV” and “First name last name Cover letter”. NB: consultants should provide consultancy status and their daily rate to work between Jan and June 2024.
Please note that ACT adheres to the SCHR misconduct scheme The Misconduct Disclosure Scheme (misconduct-disclosure-scheme.org). As part of reference checking, ACT will contact the current and former employer(s) of the preferred candidate, asking them to complete a Statement of Conduct form.
We ask for understanding that we are only able to contact shortlisted candidates.