Duty station: Amman, Jordan – the candidate should have the right to live and work in Jordan
Contract duration: one year (with possibility of extension depending on funds and performance)
Worktime: 80/100% FTE
Target start date: to be determined
Reports to: Regional Representative MENA
Languages required: English and Arabic, other languages are an asset
Experience: 2 to 4 years
Application deadline: 02/01/2024
About ACT Alliance
ACT Alliance is one of the world’s largest coalition of churches and church-related organisations engaged in humanitarian, development and advocacy work. It consists of 148 members working together in over 120 countries, with headquarters in 73 countries, whose aim is to create a positive and sustainable change in the lives of poor and marginalised people regardless of their religion, politics, gender, sexual orientation, race or nationality in keeping with the highest international codes and standards. 64% of our members are headquartered in the Global South, 30% in the Global North, and 6% are Global members. For more details about the general work of ACT, please refer to http://www.actalliance.org.
Established in 2015, the ACT Alliance MENA Regional Office, registered in Amman, serves the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, with a specific focus on supporting members with programs or interest in Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Egypt, Iraq, and Turkey. Operating across six forums, this regional office is one of several within our global network, strategically placed to maintain close connections with members and facilitate impactful work on the ground.
While the MENA regional office serves a specific area, the ACT secretariat coordinates the work of members across the world. Our network of offices worldwide underscores our commitment to a comprehensive, universal approach to the diverse challenges faced by members globally.
The Finance and Administrative Assistant plays a pivotal role in providing comprehensive support to the ACT Secretariat from the Amman Office, with a focus on program assistance through administration, and financial coordination. This position is integral to the seamless operation of the secretariat at the regional and global level.
In this capacity, the Finance and Administrative Assistant actively collaborates with Secretariat staff and external members. Responsibilities include regional logistics, overseeing local bookkeeping, facilitating English/Arabic translation for documents and meetings, government relations, and coordinating various meetings. The multifaceted nature of the Finance and Administrative Assistant role ensures a robust office support system, fostering a seamless connection with alliance members.
Duties and responsibilities
- Procure office supplies, equipment and furniture, ensuring cost-effectiveness and quality.
- Supervise the maintenance of office facilities and equipment through effective coordination with suppliers.
- Coordinate appointments, meetings, flights, hotels and conference rooms for ACT Alliance staff and members, ensuring seamless logistics support.
- Provide ad hoc general administrative support to global teams, particularly in organizing logistics for global events like Conferences of Parties and Staff Weeks.
- Travel Support
- Occasionally accompany the Regional Representative, Humanitarian Advisor, or other staff for regional or global travel.
- Provide logistics and administrative support during travel, ensuring smooth execution of meetings or events.
- Coordinate travel arrangements, accommodation and other logistical details, to facilitate efficient and effective engagements.
- Execute bookkeeping responsibilities for the MENA Office using QuickBooks Non-profit.
- Monthly reporting to the Global Finance team to maintain financial transparency and accountability.
- Manage general office files, including job files, vendor files and other operational documents.
- Liaise with auditors and banks, facilitating necessary meetings and documentation.
- Process payments, handle checks and coordinate financial matters with the global Finance team.
- Assist in the preparation of government reports, ensuring accuracy and adherence to regulatory requirements.
- Engage with line ministries as needed to address relevant matters.
- Administrative tasks
- Welcome visitors, ensuring a hospitable environment and offering necessary amenities.
- Execute clerical duties such as answering phone calls, responding to emails, and preparing office documents, correspondence, memos and presentations.
- Record meeting minutes and transcribe recorded meetings for documentation.
- Undertake other relevant duties as needed, ensuring flexibility and adaptability.
- Assist members at the ACT Alliance MENA Office, in alignment with organizational agreements.
- Assist in obtaining visas for visitors and members when necessary.
- Facilitate English to Arabic and vice-versa translations for publications, meeting notes and various ACT Alliance documents; provide translation support during field visits.
Competences and behaviours
- Commitment to Alliance Values: Demonstrates unwavering commitment to the values of the ACT Alliance, aligning actions with organizational principles and delivering on agreed priorities to the highest standards.
- Adaptability and Innovation: Proactively seeks innovative and creative solutions in the face of challenges. Exhibits efficiency and reliability, adapting seamlessly to changing circumstances and uncertainties, all while maintaining a decisive and integrity-driven approach.
- Relationship Building and Collaboration: Cultivates effective internal and external relationships, recognizing the significance of collaboration in problem-solving. Involves others in decision-making processes and consistently treats colleagues and external partners with consideration and respect, recognizing the diverse faith backgrounds within the alliance.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Contribution: Demonstrates a passion for personal and professional growth, actively building and developing core skills required for the role. Contributes knowledge beyond the immediate scope of the position, fostering a culture of shared learning within the global team.
- External Engagement: Engages with government departments, legal representatives, auditors, and vendors, ensuring a seamless flow of information and collaboration.
- Internal Collaboration: Reports directly to the Regional Representative, providing key insights and updates on operational matters. Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with Forums in the MENA Region, fostering effective communication and coordination. Actively collaborates with internal stakeholders, including the Humanitarian Advisor, Regional Communities of Practice (CoPs), and alliance members, ensuring alignment with organizational objectives. Works closely with the Finance Manager, and the administrative team, fostering synergy and coordination across functional areas.
Technical skills and Work experience
- Work Experience: Possesses a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience within an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) office environment, demonstrating a nuanced understanding of the sector’s dynamics.
- Educational Background: Holds a bachelor’s degree in business, finance, administration, human resources, or a related field, showcasing a strong academic foundation.
- Software Proficiency: Proficient in a diverse array of computer software applications, particularly within the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and Access), facilitating seamless documentation and communication.
- Financial Management: Has experience with QuickBooks or QuickBooks Non-profit, or other financial management system.
- Basic Mathematical Skills: Possesses fundamental mathematical abilities, contributing to accurate financial and administrative tasks.
- Confidentiality Handling: Comfortably manages confidential information with discretion and adherence to ethical standards.
- Organizational and Multitasking Skills: Exhibits exceptional multitasking and time-management skills, adept at prioritizing tasks to ensure efficient and effective workflow.
- Language Proficiency: Has professional fluency in both English and Arabic, enabling effective communication in a multicultural environment.
- Adherence to Code of Conduct: Demonstrates the ability to sign and adhere to the ACT Alliance Code of Conduct, reflecting a commitment to ethical standards and values.
HOW TO APPLY
ACT provides equitable compensation and pension packages and flexible working conditions. ACT also applies a non-discriminatory approach to recruitment and celebrates a diverse workforce. Interested and qualified candidates should complete and submit the form found at this link: https://forms.gle/xKob6Pt6CL7d8Kvr9, in English by 2 January 2024 (24.00 Jordanian time). Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding and interest in the ACT Alliance.
Please note that ACT adheres to the SCHR misconduct scheme https://www.schr.info/the-misconduct-disclosure-scheme. As part of reference checking, ACT will contact the current and former employer(s) of the preferred candidate, asking them to complete a Statement of Conduct form.