ACT Regional Representative for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC)
Based in Bogota, Colombia
About ACT Alliance
ACT Alliance is the largest coalition of Protestant and Orthodox churches and church-related organisations engaged in humanitarian, development and advocacy work in the world, consisting of more than 137 members working together in over 120 countries to create positive and sustainable change in the lives of poor and marginalised people regardless of their religion, politics, gender, sexual orientation, race or nationality in keeping with the highest international codes and standards. For more details about the general work of ACT, please refer to http://www.actalliance.org/
- Major functions summary
The Regional Representative is responsible for the overall leadership, representation and effective management of the ACT Alliance Secretariat in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) – to deliver on strategic direction resulting in a positive impact in the life of people. She/he ensures programme implementation in an accountable and participatory manner in accordance with the ACT Global Strategy and approved ACT policies and guidelines. As part of a global ACT Secretariat, the Regional Representative strengthens and supports national, sub-regional and regional ACT forums in Latin America and the Caribbean in their work in emergencies, sustainable development and advocacy.
- Duties and responsibilities
Leadership and Representation:
- Provides overall leadership to the ACT Alliance Secretariat in the LAC region in all aspects of supervision and management, and adherence to ACT policies and guidelines.
- Promotes, implements and upholds the vision, mission, core values and objectives of the ACT Alliance, and leads specific strategies for the region.
- Promotes the profile and visibility of ACT Alliance as one of the world´s largest humanitarian, development and advocacy alliances, striving to deliver effective programming in a rights-based and integrated approach.
- Enables effective ecumenical coordination and cooperation by maintaining a close working and consultative relationship with national councils of churches and regional ecumenical organizations, as well as with other relevant churches and (inter)faith partners.
- Maintains working and strategic relationships with relevant governmental and inter-governmental institutions, United Nations agencies and civil society organizations engaged in activities related to ACT Alliance’s work.
- Implements regional membership strategy and builds member relations by maintaining close communication and cooperation with ACT members and ACT national, sub-regional and regional forums.
- Oversees the ACT Alliance’s humanitarian response in the LAC region in close coordination with the Head of Humanitarian Affairs.
- Strengthens and supports national, sub-regional and regional ACT forums in their humanitarian, development and advocacy work through the ACT humanitarian mechanism and the alignment of the forums´ work to the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Supports the implementation of ACT forum programmes in key thematic and programmatic areas, such as gender justice, climate justice, sustainable development goals, peace and human security, etc., in close coordination with the Director of Programmes and respective Programme managers.
- Ensures emergency response and humanitarian interventions are undertaken in accordance with ACT policies and guidelines, specifically concerning the Code of Conduct, Sphere and the Core Humanitarian Standard and emergency preparedness and response plans.
- Mainstreams gender and promotes gender equality approaches in programme measures.
- Ensures the supervision of the ACT Secretariat in LAC, including planning, implementation of activities, monitoring, evaluation, documentation, and administration, in accordance with ACT policies, priorities, procedures and guidelines.
- Engages with members in the LAC region to ensure adherence to the ACT accountability framework and promotes learning and capacity building in programmes and operations.
- Supports communication from and within the region and ensures visibility of the ACT members and forums at global level.
- Manages the regional office staff and liaises with the leadership staff in Geneva to ensure coherence in the work of the Secretariat.
- Ensures timely, accurate and relevant reports are submitted according to requirements.
- Monitors and addresses security matters, and in coordination with the ACT Security Advisor, ensures that security plans are developed and implemented for relevant regional missions.
- Supports some global secretariat functions as requested by the General Secretary.
Finance and Fundraising
- Ensures efficient financial control of programme activities, including effective internal control systems to promote financial accountability, and ensures that the financial transactions are conducted in accordance with the relevant ACT policies and procedures.
- Supervises the implementation of approved projects within the agreed budgets and subject to the availability of funds, including timely reporting.
- Actively engages in negotiations with UN agencies, bilateral donors, and other potential additional funding sources in order to increase local and regional fundraising in a competitive environment.
- Supports fundraising efforts for joint ACT member-led and forum-led initiatives, including the humanitarian appeals.
- Competences and behaviours
- Commits to the values of the ACT Alliance and takes pride in delivering on agreed priorities according to the highest standards individually and as part of a global team, demonstrating commitment to the ACT agenda through programmatic and operational focus.
- Proactively finds innovative and creative solutions, is efficient and reliable, adapts to change and uncertainty, is decisive and acts with integrity.
- Builds effective internal and external relationships, involves others when solving problems and treats others with consideration and respect in an alliance where faith is a key element of people’s lives.
- Effectively motivates, influences and develops others, drives high performance, inspires people to follow them and acts as a role model, and contributes knowledge outside of immediate own role.
- Creates an environment of constructive, open and forward-looking dialogue and support among team members.
- Works actively to support fundraising within the Secretariat for the many key programmatic processes and functions coordinated in the Secretariat.
- Is performance focused, energetic and committed to dealing with several competing agendas simultaneously and effectively.
- Key working relationships
- Liaises with ACT members and ACT forums in the region, including forums coordinators.
- Manages the staff in the ACT Alliance Secretariat office in LAC.
- Liaises with other relevant staff to ensure a coherent global approach within a regional context.
- Liaises with external stakeholders (ecumenical bodies, UN agencies, regional organisations, governments, INGO networks in the region) as relevant to the agenda in the region.
- Is member of the ACT global leadership team.
- Reports to the General Secretary (CEO).
- Humanitarian Programme Officer in LAC
- Any position seated at the regional office – through a shared supervision with the relevant staff in Geneva, as required.
- Technical skills and experience
- Relevant academic degree with a minimum of seven to ten years of relevant work experience in the humanitarian/development/advocacy sector, preferably in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Proven senior leadership experience at strategic and management level in humanitarian action, sustainable development and/or advocacy work within an international environment, and preferably with church-related or non-governmental organizations.
- Ability to analyze changing operational contexts and policy developments and to optimize and take advantage of emerging opportunities.
- In-depth knowledge of issues relevant to the mandate of ACT Alliance, including a good understanding of ecumenical context and relevance of churches and faith-based actors in emergency response, long-term development and advocacy.
- Knowledge and experience of cooperation with United Nations, governmental and multilateral organizations in the field of humanitarian assistance, sustainable development, advocacy and human rights.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communications skills including influencing, negotiating and coaching.
- Ability to work flexibly in a networked working environment.
- Management experience and experience of responding to an emergency in a management role is an asset.
- Knowledge of the ecumenical landscape in the Latin America and the Caribbean region is a significant asset.
- Fluency in Spanish and English language, with demonstrated written skills. Working knowledge of French is an asset.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Up to 30% of travel required, primarily to country forums and field sites.
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and a cover letter, in English and by email only, to email@example.com by February 28 2022. Please put “ACT Regional Representative-LAC” in the subject line and name you documents “Firstname lastname CV” and “Firstname lastname Cover letter”. The initial contract will be for two (2) years with a possibility of extension. Starting Day: 01 July 2022.
ACT adheres to the SCHR misconduct scheme https://www.schr.info/the-misconduct-disclosure-scheme. As such, ACT will contact the current and/or former employer of the preferred candidate as part of reference checking and ask for a misconduct statement. When applying for this position, please confirm (in the body of the email) that you give your consent for ACT asking current/former employer for a misconduct statement should you be the preferred candidate and that you will provide the contact details of relevant HR departments that can provide such a statement.
ACT Alliance regrets being unable to accept unsolicited applications. Due to a large number of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.