Duty station: Bangkok, Thailand; other locations in Asia Pacific possible
Contract type: Staff position
Duration: Two years (50% Year 1, 100% Year 2)
Target start/end date: 01 March 2023 to 28 February 2025
Reports to: Director of Operations
Travel: Occasional to Geneva, frequently in the Asia Pacific region
Languages required: English
Experience: 5-10 years of relevant work experience
Application deadline: 09 January 2023
About ACT Alliance
ACT Alliance is one of the world’s largest coalition of churches and church-related organisations engaged in humanitarian, development and advocacy work. It consists of 144 members working together in over 120 countries, with headquarters in 73 countries, whose aim is to create a positive and sustainable change in the lives of poor and marginalised people regardless of their religion, politics, gender, sexual orientation, race or nationality in keeping with the highest international codes and standards. 64% of our members are headquartered in the Global South, 30% in the Global North, and 6% are Global members. For more details about the general work of ACT, please refer to http://www.actalliance.org/.
The ACT Alliance Secretariat is looking for an Assembly Coordinator. Depending on the candidate, the position can be located at ACT’s Bangkok office or remotely. The Assembly Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination of the planning, implementation and follow-up of the 2024 ACT General Assembly to take place in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, hosted by ACT member YAKKUM.
Duties and responsibilities
ACT Alliance works mainly through ACT Forums, a coordination platform that allows collaboration amongst members at national and regional levels. The 2024 General Assembly will be an opportunity for the ACT Alliance to demonstrate the value of a forum-driven Alliance through leadership of ACT forums in the Asia-Pacific region. The Assembly Coordinator will ensure the meaningful engagement of ACT forums and national members through locally led and decolonised approaches.
The main role is to be the focal point for organising the ACT General Assembly 2024, in particular to:
- Coordinate the planning of the programme of the Assembly, including the business sessions and other programmatic sessions.
- Coordinate the engagement with members and forums in the Asia Pacific region into the planning of the programme.
- Support the planning of pre-meetings: regional, youth (days before in person) and potentially others.
- Work with the local host organisation and ACT Indonesia Forum, and support of their delivery of agreements around venue and other logistics.
- Plan the agendas and support the meetings of the Assembly Advisory Committee.
- Chair the Secretariat Assembly Planning Group
- Coordinate the work of Secretariat staff towards the Assembly, define timelines, instructions and support.
- Facilitate the registration process and related infrastructure around participation.
- Plan and coordinate documentation and mailings to Assembly participants.
- With support of the finance team set up formal agreements and monitor budget and results.
Competencies and behaviours
- Committed to the values of the ACT Alliance and takes pride in delivering on agreed priorities according to the highest standards individually and as part of a global team.
- Proactively finds innovative and creative solutions, is efficient and reliable, adapts to change and uncertainty, is decisive and acts with integrity.
- Strong awareness of socially inclusive and culturally sensitive approaches.
- Builds effective internal and external relationships, involves others when solving problems and treats others with consideration and respect in an alliance where faith is a key ingredient of people’s lives.
- Passion for building and developing core skills for the role and contributes knowledge outside of immediate own role.
- Effectively motivates, influences and develops others, drives high performance, inspires people to follow them and acts as a role model.
- Liaises with Secretariat staff, ACT members, particularly in the Asia-Pacific Region, and external stakeholders.
- Engages with Assembly Advisory Committee, Secretariat Core Management Team, Secretariat staff and local host.
- Reports to the Secretariat Assembly Planning Group, the line manager will be the Director of Operations.
Skills and experience
- A minimum of 5-10 years of relevant work experience, including with civil society networks and diverse stakeholders, including NGOs, multilateral bodies, and faith-based organisations.
- Substantive experience in organising international/regional conferences and meetings.
- Relevant university degree; Masters’ degree an advantage.
- Excellent command of English language, working knowledge of French, Spanish and/or other languages desirable.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified candidates should send only their CV and a cover letter, in English and by email only, to email@example.com by 09 January 2023 (24.00 CET). Please put “Assembly Coordinator” in the subject line and name your documents: “Firstname lastname CV” and “Firstname lastname Cover letter”. Female and regional candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
ACT adheres to the SCHR misconduct scheme https://www.schr.info/the-misconduct-disclosure-scheme. As such, ACT will contact the current and/or former employer(s) of the preferred candidate going back 3-5 years as part of reference checking, asking them to fill in a Statement of Conduct. When applying for this position, please confirm in the body of the email that you give your consent to ACT asking your current/former employer8S) for a Statement of Conduct should you be the preferred candidate.
Kindly note that if you do not hear from us within four weeks of the vacancy deadline, you should please consider that your application has not been retained.