The Lutheran World Federation (LWF) has an opening in its Geneva offices for an
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE GENERAL SECRETARY
Starting date: 1 November 2019
Closing date for applications: 8 September 2019
Candidates are required to be in sympathy with the core values of our organization
The LWF is a communion of 148 member churches in 7 regions, living and working together for a just, peaceful and reconciled world.
The main functions of the Office of the General Secretary (OGS) are to:
- Nurture and promote communion relationships with and among LWF member churches, Christian unity and ecumenical relations.
- Promote the work and representation in matters of international affairs and human rights, connecting local concerns with global initiatives.
- Nurture LWF partnerships with governmental and non-governmental organizations, the United Nations agencies and other relevant partners.
The main purpose of this position is to take charge personally of the administrative support to the General Secretary (GS), having a direct access to the GS. S-he will exercise discernment on relation management and issues management, while ensuring the smooth running of the OGS by managing the OGS support team.
The purpose of the position is also to ensure that the OGS administrative team provides a timely and efficient administrative support to the OGS and the GS, so as to facilitate the implementation of the OGS’s and LWF’s activities.
- University associate degree in business administration / administrative assistance or equivalent.
- Training in Information Management.
- ECDL advanced certification or equivalent, or advanced level in office suite, database and CMS.
- Proficiency in English and French. German and Spanish are an asset.
Additional Study and Experience
- At least 5 years’ international experience in a senior administrative position, in an international secretariat, within a faith-based/ecumenical or non-for-profit organisation.
- Proven experience in information management, financial administration and in the follow up of transversal / institutional issues.
- Successful experience in managing a team of administrative assistants.
- Demonstrated ability to interact and work with various cultural environments with political dimensions.
- Understanding / knowledge of theological themes.
- People management skills.
LWF Core Skills
- Working effectively with others – level high
- Achieving results – level high
- Initiative – level high
- Leadership – level confirmed
- Analytical thinking – level confirmed
- Accountability – level confirmed
- Operational organisation and planning – level high
- Administration assistance – level high
- Information and protocol management – level high
- Working under pressure – level high
- Discretion – level high
- Attention to details – level high
Position Environment and Dimensions
Internally, maintains a personal access and support to the General Secretary. Coordinates the OGS support staff. Interacts also with programme staff and assistants in other departments, and with all LWF staff at all levels.
Externally, on behalf of the General Secretary and in relation with OGS activities, interacts and cooperates with member churches, donors and related agencies, ecumenical organizations, UN, INGOs and NGOs, any other LWF stakeholders.
This position’s environment requires a thorough understanding of churches structure, procedures, relationships and political dynamics as well as the sense of initiative and anticipation while observing a high level of diplomacy, protocol and confidentiality.
Supervises four Administrative Assistants
Limited travel from between 7 and 19 days per year
Acts at 2 levels:
- Individual level as executive assistant to the General Secretary (GS)
- Team level as OGS administrative team leader.
Administrative Support to the General Secretary
Maintains updated information on stakeholders for the General Secretary.
Proactively collects, processes, monitors, and reports to the GS any information of concern (external issues, LWF situation, activities, institutional projects, facts and figures).
Liaises mainly with the Office of the President, and for GS’s related activities with Member Churches and other stakeholders.
Screens incoming requests / information and prepares correspondence.
Ensures follow up and documentation with the adequate confidentiality level.
For GS-related activities, plans and arranges schedules and logistics for meetings, conferences, travels and visitors welcome, takes meeting minutes on request.
OGS Administrative Team Leader
Documentation and Knowledge Management
Manages the adequate information sharing between the General Secretary and staff / stakeholders concerned.
Manages the effective promotion in the OGS of updated guidelines and procedures and use of LWF institutional graphic lines, templates and documents.
Manages the effective information / data / documentation management in OGS respecting LWF filing and archiving policies.
Manages the team’s contribution to the Working Group on Archives.
Manages the processing of information and data from OGS for presentation purposes.
Manages informative contributions to publications produced by the Office of Communications.
Organises OGS meeting minutes taking.
Ensures the smooth running of the team in line with the GS’s and OGS priorities, through effective and organized activities on documentation and on arrangement of travels, meetings, and events.
Manages OGS administrative assistance’s continuity.
Oversees invoices processing and expense reconciliations.
Manages a system of resource persons in the use of office suite, database and Content Management System.
Organises the support of OGS colleagues in information management.
Coordinates OGS requests, queries, and social events organisation.
OGS Administrative Team Management
Creates a conducive environment and manages efficiently the team with people management good practices.
Monitors and supports the good achievement of OGS administrative assistants’ deliverables.
Supervises induction programs of new OGS staff.
Special Duties and Back-up
As may be assigned by the supervisor.
In her-his absence, organises and ensures the continuity of the function of Executive Assistant to GS.
To deal with frequent changes, time constraints, and pending issues follow up.
To apply, click on the following link: