Starting date: As soon as possible
Closing date for applications: 13 December 2019
Duration of contract: initial contract of 5 years
Extensive travel of more than 20 days per year
Candidates are required to be in sympathy with the core values of our organization
The Department for World Service (DWS) is responsible for carrying out diakonal response to humanitarian emergencies and human needs on behalf of the Lutheran World Federation – a Communion of Churches (LWF).
In pursuance of its responsibility and based on its strategy, DWS
- Operates together with and on behalf of the LWF member churches;
- Provides support of refugees, returnees, internally displaced people, their host communities and communities at risk, emphasizing livelihoods, quality services, protection and social cohesion;
- Establishes and runs country programs and emergency operations;
- Engages in cooperation and partnership with governmental and non-governmental organizations, the relevant United Nations agencies and other structures involved in humanitarian and development programs as they link to the WS mandate and represents the LWF in the ACT Alliance.
Quality programming, learning, and accountability at all levels are key commitments in the Global Strategy of DWS. The main purpose of this position is to develop and support the implementation of these commitments, with particular responsibility for the digitalization of data management across LWF Country Programs.
In particular, the position holder:
- Leads the conceptualization and technical implementation of digital data collection and management across World Service;
- Enhances the learning and capacity development of LWF World Service in Country Programs in digitized data management and PMER;
- Builds internal practices and processes to ensure data quality and timeliness;
- Supports PMER processes at all levels (project, Country program, and in Geneva).
- Master’s university degree in Economics, Statistics, Sociology or similar subjects with a strong emphasis on quantitative research methodology.
- Further training and expertise in Technology for Development and demonstrated experience managing cloud-based data management systems.
- Proficient and comfortable in managing and cleaning data in excel or other spreadsheets tools including the use of functions and understanding concepts of relational data.
- Excellent writing skills in producing report documents with Word, and presentations with PowerPoint, and the use of project management and communication tools like ClickUp, Teams, Sharepoint.
- Excellent organization, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with proven experience participating in organization workshops.
- Able to work within an internationally distributed team, with some travel and under time pressure.
- Proficiency level of English, working knowledge of French or Spanish are an asset.
- Church endorsement is required.
Additional Study and Experience
- At least 5 years working experience with coordinating and monitoring (MEAL) responsibilities, preferably in an NGO and/or within faith-based/ecumenical organizations.
- At least 3 years working experience in the humanitarian or development work in the field.
- Proven experience and expertise in using digital data collection tools, such as Kobo, Commcare, Survey CTO, Newdea, and others.
- Proven experience working with cloud-based data management systems and digital data collection tools.
- Proven experience with managing large relational data sets.
- Technology for development experience desirable.
LWF Core Skills
Achieving results – level high
Accountability – level high
Working effectively with others – level high
Analytical thinking – level high
Initiative – level high
Leadership – level confirmed
Digital data management tools expertise – level high
Communication of technical jargon to non-technical people – level high
Indicator management – level high
Report writing – level high
Planning and evaluation methodology – level confirmed
Facilitation and coordination – level confirmed
Position Environment and Dimensions
Internally, as a member of a team of QAA, mainly interacts with World Service in Geneva and with QAA team members outside Geneva, with the Global Grants team, and globally with country programs technical staff in view of PMER and digitalisation.
Externally, interacts and cooperates with technical staff from related agencies, and other like-minded organisations.
Digital data management
Design and facilitate implementation of road map for digital data management for LWF Country Programs.
Ensure that key data elements are identified, forms and tools are developed to capture efficient data, and data is collected in standardized and timely way compatible with the identified digital tools.
Maintain data dashboards and spreadsheets to meet the requirements.
Conduct internal reviews to ensure the quality of the data collected.
Support technically the roll out and review of the Global World Service Strategy, with a focus on indicator tracking and the collection and management of country results data.
Processes and Tools Development
Lead the development of new digital data collection processes and coordinate the roll out and capacity building at field level.
Contribute to the development of tools and process for the quality check in close collaboration with the Operations Team.
Facilitate and document in-house planning processes. Create methodologies and guidance notes for Country Programs.
Support the efficient use of Newdea, our online PMER system.
Updating guidance notes on evaluation, peer-reviews and feedback mechanism of achievements to the grassroots, and other PMER materials as needed.
Analysis and capacity building of Country Programs digital PMER and data management processes (during travels, remote support).
People Coordination and Capacity Building
Support the daily coordination of the global QAA team’s work.
Support and develop the functional capacity of the global QAA team.
To support efficient networking and coordination among the global QAA team, regional focal points and within the Country Programs.
To ensure close cooperation with the RPCs and the Country Programs, supporting efficient communication within the department and giving and receiving regular information specific to the QAA team. To effectively and efficiently work with relevant colleagues globally to ensure that good quality data are collected and meaningful reports are produced and uploaded on-time.
To apply, click on the following link: